Reminder: Registration for the OCWC Global 2013 Conference, “Learning Beyond Borders: Delivering Quality Education to Your Fingertips” is Open!
Registration is open for OCWC Global 2013 Conference.
OCWC Global 2013 Conference, hosted by APTIKOM Indonesia, will be held in Bali, Indonesia May 8-10, 2013. Partnering with the OCWC and APTIKOM for the realization of conference goals is a local organizing team, which includes the National ICT Council of Indonesia, Ministry of Education and Culture, Ministry of Information and Communication, and the Indonesian Open University.
Held annually, OCWC Global reunites the OCW/OER community for three days of showcasing new projects, debating issues of common concern, and exchanging useful practices in matters such as pedagogy, policy and technology.
Early registration ends March 8, 2013. For more information about the conference and online registration click here.
Call For Nominations: Board of Directors, Open Courseware Consortium
The OCW Consortium Nominating Committee hereby invites you to nominate candidates for the Board of Directors of the OpenCourseWare Consortium. This year, 4 delegates from institutional members and 1 delegate from organizational members have to be elected.
General responsibilities of the Board members:
The filing deadline for nominations is March 1, 2013, 12:00 GMT+1.
The Board of Directors is charged with setting the strategic direction of the OCW Consortium. Board members make high-level decisions concerning the mission, outputs, finances and services of the Consortium. Board members are expected to act in the best interest of the organization and its members in all deliberations.
To fulfill its charge, the Board will hold four in meetings a year, two of which will be in person and two online. It is important that board members make every attempt to fully participate in all meetings. While substitutions are permitted if necessary, the substitute will not be allowed to vote on the Board member's behalf.
The Board member's institution is expected to cover the cost of the Board member's travel to meetings and time that is given to the OCW Consortium. The OCWC does have some funds for defraying some, but not all, expenses of Board members traveling to these meetings which can be requested for members coming from under resourced institutions, or other exceptional circumstances.
The Board, or its sub-committees, may decide to conduct some business by conference call between in-person meetings. While the frequency and amount of time required for these calls will depend on the nature of the business being conducted, one might anticipate that the Board itself would not normally meet by phone more than once a month.
Likewise, it is anticipated that Board members will serve as liaisons with various standing committees and work groups, and will represent the Consortium from time to time at various meetings and/or events.
To nominate yourself or one of your colleagues, please fill in the web form at http://www.ocwconsortium.org/nominate.
2013 Awards for OpenCourseWare Excellence (ACE)
Thank you to all who have submitted nominations for the 2013 Awards for OpenCourseWare Excellence (ACE). The 2013 ACEs will be presented at the next global OpenCourseWare Consortium meeting in Bali, Indonesia, May 8-10, 2013.
Supporting OER in the Arabic Speaking World
US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, announced a new partnership to promote the use and sharing of OER in the Arab World. The US Department of State, the Arab League Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ALSECO), and their partners, including the OCW Consortium, will collaboratively work to “deliver the benefits of open education to more people and more places.” For information, click here
Reminder: 2013 Open Education Week, March 11-15, 2013
Join your colleagues around the world to increase understanding about open education!
Open Education Week will take place from 11-15 March 2013 online (www.openeducationweek.org) and in locally hosted events around the world.
The purpose of Open Education Week is to raise awareness of the open education movement and its impact on teaching and learning worldwide. Participation in all events and use of all resources is free and open to anyone. Nearly 150 organizations and institutions from over 30 different countries signed up to contribute to 2013 Open Education Week.
2013 Open Education Week will feature:
· Over 50 webinars open to participation from anyone
· Virtual tours, pre-recorded presentations and documents describing open education
projects and ideas
· Discussion area with blog and twitter feeds
· Resource links
· Local events and workshops around the world
A short preview of webinars and events is listed below. The complete schedule with webinar and local events (including times, events descriptions and ways to participate) will be available on the open education week website on 1 March 2013.
Overview of Webinars scheduled during March 11-15
Monday, March 11
· Building Research Profile and Culture with Open Access
· Learners orchestrating their own learning
· Learning Innovations and Learning Quality: The future of open education and free
· Näin käytät ja teet avoimia sisältöjä /How to use and create open content
· New global open educational trends: policy, learning design and mobile
· The multiple facets of Openness in #udsnf12
· Licencias Creative Commons para recursos educativos, ¿que son? ¿como usarlas?
· What is Open Education
· Designing OER with Diversity In Mind
· وسائل تعليمية تشاركية : تطوير الوسائل التعليمية تشاركيًا باستخدام أداة الابتكار ومنصة سكراتش البرمجية
· Driving Adoptions of OER Through Communities of Practice
· Khan Academy: Personalized learning experiences
· Good practices on open content licensing
· Using MERLOT to Find High Quality Open Educational Resources
Tuesday, March 12
· OpenCourseWare in the European Higher Education Context: How to make use of its
full potential for virtual mobility
· Open and authentic learning environment for sexual health
· OLDS MOOC Grand finale (final convergence session)
· 교육의 변화와 CCL콘텐츠 활용방법
· Äidinkielestä riippumaton suomen kielen opetus
· Opening Up Education
· Xpert Search Engine and the Xpert Image Attribution Service
· Capacitación para la educación abierta: OportUnidad en Latinoamérica
· Language learning independent of mother language
· Interactive Learning with Wolfram Technologies
· Collaborative Boldly Confronts Licensing Issues
· Buenas prácticas en el uso de licencias para contenidos abiertos
· Re-Creative Commons
Wednesday, March 13
· Who is using your OCW site?
· The Need for Effective Policies to Support OER
· Políticas nacionales de Acceso Abierto en Argentina
· Movilización de Conocimiento Abierto y Apropiación de Recursos Educativos Abiertos
· Open Policy Network: seeking community input
· OER Commons Green: A Unique Lens on Open Environmental Education
· Creative Commons 4.0 Licenses: What's New for Education?
· How Community Colleges are Innovating with Open Educational Resources
· P2PU: A Showcase of Open Peer Learning
Thursday, March 14
· Open Access policy development at the University of Pretoria: the why, what and
· What you can learn from the UKOER experience
· Why Open Access is Right for the World Bank
· What's behind Open Education? A philosophical insight
· Utilizing OER to Create a Pathway Towards an Affordable Degree
· Learning toys for free: Collaborative educational tools development using
MakeyMakey and SCRATCH platforms
· Teach Syria: The Impact of Teaching Global to Today's Youth
· Validating the Learning Obtained through Open Educational Resources
· OER and Alternative Certification Models: An Analysis Framework
Friday, March 15
· Making OER Count [Open Education + Maths + RealWorld = Win]
· Open Educational Resources (OER) for language teaching and learning
· Recursos Educativos Abiertos (REA) para la enseñanza y el aprendizaje de lenguas
· National policies of Open Access to scientific outputs in Argentina
· Re-thinking Developmental Education: Creating a STEM Bridge in the National STEM
· OpenStax College Textbooks: Remixable by Design
· An OER Editor for the Rest of Us
· What's next? An open discussion about open education.
Local Events taking place between Sunday, March 10 and Friday, March 15
· Open Data in Science
· Jaa jotain (share something)
· Special Track "The Power of Learning Analytics to Engage and Guide"
· Learn about Creative Commons licenses and how they work
· Open Video Sudan
· New trends in open education; Universia's support policies for Open Education;
Open education trends and experiences at Spanish universities;
The MOOC movement.
· Unlocking the Potential of Open Educational Resources
· Creating and Adapting Teaching Materials for Sharing
· New responsibilities as OER crosses the Chasm
· Open Conference about OER
· P2PU's School of Open together with Wikimedia Germany and Mozilla
· MOOCs at the Open University: past, present and future
· What it takes to share your teaching resources in OpenContent
· CC Licenses and Remixing OER
· Open Education, OER & e-Learning
· Open Access Publishing and Its Implications
· Different faces of OCWs: Practice & Adaption
· Les matinées du elearning
· Open education: the strategic role of the UCT Libraries
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Twitter at #openeducationwk and Facebook at facebook.com/openeducationwk.
Opportunity to Participate in OCWC Toolkit Working Groups during Open Education Week
During Open Education Week (March 11-15, 2013), the OCW Toolkit Working Group will be hosting a series of sprints. The OCW Toolkit
introduces OER providers to tools and processes that simplify their work of making course materials openly available.
We invite you to join us for one or more of these sprints in order to update the tools we already offer the OER community and to create new ones to reflect the ever-changing OER environment. Please take a few minutes to complete this survey so that we can schedule work on the projects that interest you at times when you are best able to participate.
The OCW Toolkit Working Group
New Special Journal Issue on “Openness in Higher Education”
Open Praxis released a new journal issue focusing on the concept of openness and its growth and use in higher education. The journal issue or individual articles can be downloaded here
. This special issue is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
We welcome these new members to the Community
Universidad Itaca, Mexico
AIU High School, USA
BC Campus, Canada
BS Grupo, Peru
Please visit our website for news links and blogs to keep up with what is happening in OER around the world. Better yet, you can like us on Facebook (OCWConsortium) or follow us on Twitter (OCW News) to be updated in real time. If you have something to share, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know!
PO Box 251, Newton, MA 02464 USA
Activities of the OpenCourseWare Consortium are supported by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, member dues, and contributions from our sustaining members:
The African Virtual University | Fundação Getulio Vargas - FGV Online | Delft University of Technology| Japan OpenCourseWare Consortium | Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health | Korea OpenCourseWare Consortium| Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Netease Information Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd. | Open Universiteit (the Netherlands) |Taiwan OpenCourseWare Consortium| Tecnológico de Monterrey| Tufts University | UNIVERSIA| Universidad Politécnica de Madrid | University of California, Irvine | University of Michigan
Connect with us:
Follow us on Twitter
Become a fan
Read our blog