Thank you for being part of Chinese Whispers! 2014 has been a truly remarkable year, and all of us at CW are grateful for the amazing opportunities to reclaim, retell, and restore community memory in fresh and meaningful ways. In 2015 we look forward to new fruition in our innovations to bring overlooked histories to light, and continue the vital cycle of nourishment that empowers each of us as cultural and civic citizens. I hope you will make a tax-deductible year end gift today to support this important work.
DONATE - Sustain Chinese Whispers Now!
Your gift will replenish our ability to continue nourishing community heritage. Hear what Jeff, Kevin, Ford, and Cindy say about being part of the CW community:
You are central to this work. Your stories are the wellspring of our shared history, and your support makes it possible for us to amplify community voices. Together, we made great strides in 2014 –
RECLAIMING Forgotten History:
We launched CW: Bay Chronicles to retrace the forgotten history of Chinese shrimp fishing in SF Bay, with –
RETELLING Overlooked Stories:
- An art and research sailing expedition around the Bay that included “rediscovering” forgotten historical Chinese fishing camp sites in the South Bay;
- Three exciting public events in Richmond, Bayview Hunters Point, and China Camp, that connected local communities with local heritage.
- At the S.F. History Expo, SF Gate mentioned CW out of 50+ participating organizations for our work in creating a “people's history of the West – tales of ordinary people who are often omitted from history books.”
- At Heritage of Hope, our Lunar New Year celebration, our talented community storytellers brought to life stories from immigrants in Chinatown today, whose voices have been ignored just as those of earlier pioneer generations'.
So that overlooked histories won’t be forgotten again, join us in 2015 in –
RESTORING Community Memory:
- We will premiere our flagship theater production of CW: Golden Gate about the SF Bay Area, connecting past and present in inspiring stories about the immigrant families who helped make this region the marvel that it is today.
- Amplify the impact of your year-end giving – contribute to our crowdfunding campaign for the production, and help bring these stories to the public in an enjoyable, multimedia storytelling production that engages and inspires.
Many companies will match employee contributions,
please contact us if you believe your place of work will match your charitable gift.
Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to another year of growth together!
With warmest wishes for a replenishing new year,
Artistic and Founding Director
Every story is like a grain of rice.
Together, our stories nourish our community.
Photo credit: Gordon Szeto
Chinese WhispersSM uses an innovative, multi platform approach to bring public awareness to the overlooked history of the Chinese who helped build the American West. We conduct research and create unique community storytelling and artistic productions, and engage communities through innovative, site specific public programs. Visit chinese-whispers.org for more information.
Chinese WhispersSM is supported in part by the Creative Work Fund, Cal Humanities, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Arts Commission, Center for Cultural Innovation, Fleisshacker Foundation, Mechanics Bank, and individual donors like you.
CW Partners include the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, San Francisco Chinatown YMCA, Center for Sierra Nevada Studies, Chinese Historical Society of America, Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation, San Francisco Estuary Institute, Bayview Historical Society, Richmond Museum of History, EcoCenter at Heron's Head Park, Aquarium of the Bay, Shaping San Francisco, Friends of China Camp, OpenShow, & Placer Arts Council, with special thanks to Malcom Margolin and Heyday. Chinese WhispersSM is a member of the Intersection Incubator, a program of Intersection for the Arts, a 501(c)-3 non-profit organization providing fiscal sponsorship, incubation and consulting services to artists.