SSCV FALL SPECTACULAR AND COMMUNITY LUNCH
A perfect way to kick off the season with
family and friends and welcome new members!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
Winter is just around the corner! That means it is time to purchase your childâ€™s gear and get it dialed in for the season, complete the mandatory athlete physical (athletes ages 12 and older), catch up with friends and welcome new families to Ski & Snowboard Club Vail (SSCV)! This is what the SSCV Fall Spectacular and Community Lunch is about, allowing you to accomplish all these things in just a few short hours with SSCV coaches, Pro Shop representatives, Human Performance staff and third party gear representatives!
Regardless of an athleteâ€™s age, properly selected and fitted equipment is a key component of their on snow performance and critical to the achievement of their personal goals. Donâ€™t miss out on this extremely productive, informative and fun-filled day to kick off your season with SSCV!
Sunday, September 13th
What and When: (see details below)
- 7:00 am â€“ 9:00 am Athlete Used Equipment Swap Drop Off
- 8:00 am â€“ 12:30 pm Complimentary Athlete Physicals (athletes ages 12 and older)
- 10:00 am â€“ 1:00 pm New Equipment and Softgoods Fitting and Ordering Session at Discounted SSCV Competitor Pricing
- 10:00 am â€“ 1:00 pm Athlete Used Equipment Swap
- 12:30 pm â€“ 2:00 pm SSCV Community Lunch by Chipotle and Welcome with SSCV Executive Director and Program Directors to Kick Off the Season--a great time to meet and greet new families and catch up with friends!
- 1:00 pm â€“ 2:30 pm Athlete Used Equipment Swap Pick Up
SSCV Athletes and Families
Maloit Park in Minturn, Home of Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy (VSSA), SSCV & Minturn Fitness Center
8:00 am â€“ 12:30 pm
MANDATORY ATHLETE PHYSICALS
Timing by Age Group:
Â· 8:00 am â€“ 9:30 pm- all U14 athletes (ages 12-13)
Â· 9:30 am â€“ 11:00 am- all U16 athletes (ages 14-15)
Â· 11:00 am â€“ 12:30 pm â€“ all U19-U21 athletes (ages 16 and above)
Minturn Fitness Center across from the driveway entrance to VSSA
Staff from The Steadman Clinic will be conducting mandatory medical/orthopedic physicals free of charge at the Minturn Fitness Center located across from the driveway entrance to VSSA. Physicals are mandatory for all SSCV athletes ages 12 and older who do not have a current physical form on file with SSCV from a physician for a physical done within the past six months. Medical forms should provide the type of information found at this link
. Please fill out the Pre-participation Physical Evaluation History Form at this link
and bring with you to the Minturn Fitness Center for the physical.
If you are unable to attend this session, you will need to arrange a doctorâ€™s physical by October 1, 2015 and deliver the signed physician's form by October 1, 2015 in the abovementioned format to the attention of Jake Wurth at the Minturn Fitness Center or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
10:00 am â€“ 1:00 pm
NEW EQUIPMENT AND SOFTGOODS FITTING AND ORDERING SESSION
VSSA traffic loop, weather permitting. If there is inclement weather, it will be held in the VSSA gym.
Order your childâ€™s softgoods and hardgoods at discounted competitor pricing offered to SSCV athletes. Representatives from various ski and snowboard companies will be stationed to provide information on their lines, help fit your athlete and take orders in collaboration with SSCV coaches who will be available to provide advice. This is a very busy session with a large number of SSCV families, staff and representatives on hand. It can be a bit overwhelming if you donâ€™t come prepared so please keep these helpful tips in mind:
Before the ordering session:
- Have your child try on last yearâ€™s gear.
- Contact the head coach for your childâ€™s age group if you have questions about sizing or models.
- Write down what you have and what you think you want, including sizes and models, and run them by the head coach for your childâ€™s age group.
At the ordering session:
10:00 am â€“ 1:00 pm
- Bring your list with you and check it off as you go.
- Allow at least an hour to get your ordering done.
- Please arrive by 10:30 am as things take time and we want to have the opportunity to help you if you need it.
ATHLETE USED EQUIPMENT SWAP
Back by popular demand, SSCV will host the 4th annual Athlete Used Equipment Swap. This will give families the opportunity to buy and/or sell used equipment. We will only be accepting hardgoods (skis, boards, boots and poles) that are geared toward usage by SSCV athletes and that are in good condition. Please have skis/boards tuned. Used softgoods can be brought to sell at our Annual Ski & Snowboard Swap on October 23, 2015 (details to follow).
- 7:00 am-9:00 am
- Swap Equipment Drop off: You can pull into the back parking lot by the SSCV Pro Shop/VSSA cafeteria for drop off only. Please park in the VSSA student/faculty parking lot during Fall Spectacular hours.
- Seller Equipment Check-In Form: Please print and complete a form for each piece of equipment you bring to the Swap. Click here for a copy of the form.
12:30 pm â€“ 2:00 pm
- 10:00 am-1:00 pm
- 1:00 pm-2:30 pm
- Unsold Swap Equipment Pick Up: Any equipment which is not claimed by 2:30 pm will be donated to SSCV.
- Swap Proceeds Allocation: 25% of the proceeds for Athlete Used Equipment Swap sales will be allocated to SSCV as a donation and you will receive a donation thank you letter for your records. The remaining 75% of proceeds will be mailed to you for any of your equipment that is sold at the Athlete Used Equipment Swap.
COMMUNITY LUNCH SPONSORED BY CHIPOTLE AND
WELCOME BY SSCV EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND PROGRAM DIRECTORS
Grass circle at the VSSA traffic loop, weather permitting. If there is inclement weather, it will be held inside VSSA.
New this year, join fellow SSCV families and staff members for a community lunch made possible through the generosity of Chipotle This is a great time to welcome new members, meet new friends and catch up with families you have not seen since last season, and will include a welcome by SSCV Executive Director Aldo Radamus and SSCV Program Directors.
We look forward to seeing you on September 13th at the Maloit Park Campus! Questionsâ€”please email email@example.com
August 2015 Alpine News
With the start of school, we settle back into the routines that we know. Summer spontaneity becomes a memory as we go back to the classrooms and, before we know it, the mountain.
We were thrilled to be awarded the USSA Alpine Club of the Year again last year in two consecutive years. We are proud to receive this recognition, and are excited to begin a new season to implement some new initiatives and continue to improve.
Many of our athletes have been working hard at various camps around the world. Beginning with spring training in Colorado, several from all age groups chalked up 15 days at A-Basin and Beaver Creek. We had a great turn-out at our wildly successful Mt. Bachelor Camp for anywhere from 5 â€“ 17 days of training on the snow field. It was ours alone: No lift lines, no fighting for territory, lots of skiing, mountain biking, and having fun with pals. From there our kids scattered with the wind in search of snow â€“ Argentina, Austria, Lithuania, and New Zealand. It has been a productive summer for SSCV Alpine!
SSCV Alpine is excited to be hosting a number of races this year on Golden Peak and at Beaver Creek.
- Kicking off the season, we host young ski racers at an Age Class Open Kombi on Golden Peak where we plan to build in some little terrain features to test the skills of the U10â€™s
- We will be putting on the Age Class open GSâ€™s in Beaver Creek again this year where we mix it up with some creative seeding.
- U19 GS Qualifiers in January are sure to be exciting racing for those Jr. FIS athletes trying for a spot at U19 Nationals.
- We look forward to hosting the R/C U16 Jr. Championships and are happy to be able to provide our athletes an opportunity to race on their home hill and sleep in their own beds every night!
- We will see some NorAm SL action following the U16â€™s where the best in North America will be vying for a coveted NorAm Title while offering our own top athletes a chance to compete with the best here at home.
- Our annual GS Spectacular returns in spectacular fashion to Beaver Creek and Vail.
- The Spring Series FIS tech races return in April for a final hurrah for the season.
We are pleased to report that our staff has remained largely in tact with a few notable position changes and a few new coaches.
Here is the coaching lineup as it stands today. Coaches are listed in alphabetical order. There might still be some shifting and additions. Coaches have not yet assigned contact groups. You can expect to hear the assignments toward the end of September.
Parents! SSCV Alpine is happy to present a Parent Education Series designed to help you understand the sport, support your children, connect with other parents and inspire you to be involved (if you so desire). Have you ever thought, â€œI wish someone would just explain to meâ€¦â€ or for our seasoned parents, â€œI wish someone would have told me earlierâ€¦â€ Send me an email with those thoughts and Iâ€™ll try to work it in to the monthly series! firstname.lastname@example.org
Plan to attend the first of the series: a clinic to learn the rules of racing
and the ins and outs of a ski race
. This clinic will cover the basic rules, the different disciplines and how they are run, the various officials required at a race and the role they play, how to be a gate judge, and basic pipeline information.
The clinic is for those who want to learn more about their child's sport, or those who are interested in working to become a ski racing official
Also, please be aware that a volunteer requirement exists within our membership. If you are planning to volunteer at one or more of the many races we will be hosting
this year to work off your volunteer points, plan to attend so you will be comfortable and knowledgeable volunteering on the hill.
Â· What: Certified Official Clinic (don't let the name of this course scare you...)
Â· When: Saturday, Sept. 12
Â· Time: 5:30 - 7:30
Â· Where: VSSA Room 208
o Anyone interested in learning more about the sport of Alpine Ski Racing
o Anyone who knows the rules and wants an update
o Anyone who is planning to volunteer for a ski race this year
o Parents who want to be educated on their child's sport
o Anyone who is curious about or interested in becoming a Ski Race Official
Â· Clinicians: Karen Ghent, SSCV Alpine Program Director and PJ Jenick, SSCV Alpine Race
Â· Cost: $10 (Cash or check written to RMSRO please.)
Photo courtesy of Ted Vickerman.
Join the SSCV High School Mountain Bike Team Now!
Looking for High School Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
Itâ€™s not too late to join the SSCV High School Mountain Bike Team. The first race of the season is coming up on August 29 in Frisco, Colorado. This program is designed for beginner to advanced mountain bikers and provides numerous opportunities to compete both locally and regionally, culminating in the Colorado State High School Mountain Bike Championships in our own backyard in Eagle, Colorado. SSCV Mountain Bike Team members have proven themselves a real force in the Colorado High School Mountain Bike competition circuit.
Athletes will be coached as a team by Dan Weiland who is also the SSCV Nordic Program Director. Although coached and training as a team, for purposes of Colorado High School Mountain Bike competitions, SSCV athletes will compete in one of three divisions in Eagle County, depending on where the high school they attend is geographically located.
Not only is the SSCV Mountain Bike Team an opportunity in and of itself to improve your mountain biking skills, being open to all high school aged students in Eagle County, but it is also great cross-training for SSCV snowsports athletes in preparation for their on-snow season. Please pass this information along to other high schoolers in the area.
The SSCV High School Mountain Bike Program extends through October 18, 2015 with training on Tuesdays and Fridays from 4 pm â€“ 6 pm and Sundays from 11 am â€“ 1 pm (subject to change based on competitions schedules, etc.).
Contact Dan Weiland with questions and for more details at email@example.com.
Training Table Lunches at VSSA for VSSA and Winter Tutorial Students
Sign Up Now if you have not already!
VSSA and Winter Tutorial Parents
-Don't forget to sign up your child for the Training Table lunches at VSSA. With the high level of activity SSCV athletes partake in during the entire school year it is critical, in order to maximize their performance level, that they are properly fueling and hydrating themselves. The Training Table is a fantastic, delicious, economical way to guaranty they are getting a hearty, well-balanced meal weekdays at lunch at Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy. 2015-2016 pricing is below. A discount of 10% will be offered for second family members on the lunch program.
$750.00-VSSA Training Table Semester Lunch Plan
$120.00-VSSA Training Table 10 Punch
$240.00-VSSA Training Table 20 Punch
$1,295.00-VSSA Training Table Annual Lunch Plan
Athlete Financial Aid Application Deadline
October 15, 2015
SSCV believes that no one should be restricted from participating in SSCV programs for financial reasons. The Opportunity Fund is utilized for financial aid awards and is funded by the generous donations, grants and sponsorships of our supporters.
Financial aid is available from SSCV to support up to 75% of program fees. The deadline to apply for financial aid is October 15. For financial aid details and the application process click here
Do You Wish To Complete Your 2016 Volunteer Requirement Early This Season?
We've posted upcoming events online!
Log into your MySSCV account to access the following volunteer opportunities:
More opportunities will be posted soon, so be sure to keep checking online!
- Ski Swap Poster Hanging in Eagle, Edwards, Avon, Minturn, Vail, East Vail and Frisco-dates and times flexible prior to Swap
- Fall Spectacular: September 13
- New Full-Time Parent and Ambassador Welcome Reception-September 18
- SSCV Member Golf Tournament-September 28
- Ski Swap Public Check In: October 10, 17, 22, 23
- Ski Swap: October 23-25
Nordic Team Hard at Work!
And all the while having fun!