Ready made tweets
If you are a VC and have not tweeted out an image of the app store with some banal observation on what it means for tech in 2017, you have a few more days left. Here are a few you can use if you're feeling especially uninspired:
- 2017 will be the year of voice UI
- Is 2017 the year fitness tracking goes mainstream?
- Gaming remains mobile's killer app
- Snapchat's IPO is going to be huge
About that slowdown
2016 was going to be the year of startup austerity and fewer unicorns. While it certainly slowed over 2015's frothy pace, 2016 never got as bad as many were prognosticating.
In fact, it's ending on a sort of optimistic note with 6 new unicorns joining the herd in December alone as you can see on our complete unicorn company list.
What's your greatest weakness?
As we ramp up recruiting for 2017 (we're hiring btw), I couldn't help but laugh at this interview exchange.
Also in 2017
With the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) starting on January 5th, we decided to examine the thousands of exhibitors at the show using Mosaic and determine which of them are the key companies to watch. These companies run the gamut of industries and use cases, from an automated sous vide cooker to a freight forwarding company to a 3D printer maker.
For those of you with access to CB Insights, you can view the CES 2017 Collection here which lists all the private companies exhibiting at CES. Simply clone it to create a private collection that you and your team can then add to, comment, and collaborate on.
Dataviz — all day, every day
We've done thousands of graphs, market landscapes, periodic tables and more in 2016. Here are the 10 that were shared the most.
10. Smart Home Market Map: 67 Startups In Home Automation, Smart Appliances, And More
We identified 67 private companies in smart home technologies and mapped them according to 11 main categories they’re operating in.
9. The Crowded Unicorn Club In One Infographic
We looked at all still-private unicorns since 2011 and charted them based on when they first joined the unicorn club.
8. 80+ Companies Reinventing Medicine In One Infographic
From messaging apps for hospital workers to surgeons training with VR, startups are working to transform patient care in the hospital.
7. 99 Startups Reinventing The Restaurant In One Infographic
These startups have raised $1.6B in aggregate to integrate digital features into nearly every aspect of restaurant operations.
6. The Most Well-Funded Tech Startups In Europe
Our map infographic shows the top tech startups mapped by European country, as determined by funding totals. They include Spotify, Delivery Hero, and Deliveroo.
5. The Industrial IoT: 56 Startups Transforming Factory Floors, Oil Fields, And Supply Chains
So far, the IIoT wave transforming asset-heavy industries has been led by the old guard of tech giants such as GE, IBM, and Cisco.
4. The United States Of Startups: The Most Well-Funded Tech Startup In Every US State
Our map infographic shows the top tech startups in every US state, as determined by funding totals. They include Avant, DraftKings, and Vice Media.
3. 90+ Artificial Intelligence Startups In Healthcare
Khosla Ventures has backed 5 of the startups on the map
2. 133 Startups Transforming Brick-And-Mortar Retail In One Infographic
Startups are outfitting retailers with augmented reality, beacons, wearables, and more to bridge the gap between digital and physical shopping.
1. Google, Twitter, Intel, Apple In A Rush To Grab Artificial Intelligence Startups
Nearly half of the AI companies acquired since 2011 have had VC backing.
I love you.
P.S. If you can't make The Innovation Summit to hear us talk about the future of finance, healthcare, transport, and more, sign up for the livestream.