Xoom and boom! Card reloaded.
Diana R. was getting frustrated.
“[I’ve been] going around in circles trying to find an efficient way to transfer money to Bank of Mom & Dad without having to trick Apple Cash, create a second Venmo account, get permissions from the bank etc.”
I’m sure many of you can relate.
Diana finally found what she was looking for: Xoom.
“PayPal now uses Xoom which instantly transfers money from one of your PayPal accounts (even credit cards) to any debit card (i.e. no checking and routing numbers). It will show you which of your accounts have $0 fees and which have fees — the highest I saw was $1.99 I didn’t see any %. I got my money visible in my FamZoo account in less than 1 minute.”
I noticed a few families reloading via Xoom in the past, but I never dove in to figure out how it worked, how much it cost, and which options were supported. Diana’s step-by-step screenshots spurred me to finally check it out myself.
I used Xoom to send $100 from my Wells Fargo Bank account to my FamZoo card.
Try it yourself:
- Sign into PayPal.
- Choose the Send and Request tab up top.
- Click Send to a bank account in the right hand sidebar.
- Agree to the Xoom user agreement.
- Choose the United States.
- Specify the amount.
- Choose the Debit Card Deposit receiving option.
- Enter the number on the face of your receiving FamZoo card.
- Enter your contact info.
- Choose the source of your funds, like your bank account or bank debit card linked to PayPal.
- You may have to confirm your bank account for the transfer to complete swiftly. I skipped the confirmation because I don’t like giving up my bank credentials.
- Answer a few questions: Reason for transfer? I selected “Financial support, family maintenance.” How often? I selected “Occasionally.” Who are you sending to? I selected “Spouse, partner, children.”
- Review the amount, fee, source, and destination. Click Send.
The funds arrived on my card within minutes, and I paid a $1 fee. Very convenient!
Xoom is a nice addition to our other instant reload options. And with Xoom, there’s no need for the digital wallet two-step of (1) transferring funds to your Apple Pay, Venmo, or PayPal wallet, and then (2) transferring the funds from your wallet to your card. Instead, it’s a direct transfer to your card.
Xoom is an excellent bank transfer alternative for those parents with banks or credit unions that do not support external transfers.
Xoom is also a handy solution for grandparents and other trusted relatives who want to send funds directly to the kids’ cards for birthdays and special occasions.
Happy Xooming! And many thanks to Diana for the tip. 🙏
Laudable lavish spending?
Trying times in the world have a way of refocusing the mind on what truly matters. Some food for thought:
“The best thing to spend on your children is time.” ~ Unknown Wise Person
Maybe it’s time to reallocate the budget.
Got a question, comment, concern, bug report, suggestion?
I’m no robot, just an everyday dad on a youth financial literacy mission. Hit reply, and I’ll respond.
Or catch up with me on Facebook or Twitter.
Best to you and your family,