|Hello! This month's newsletter includes our first new game announcement in many months, shipping updates for our current products, another charity opportunity, and a survey about the title for my upcoming Kickstarter book.
New Game Announcement
For the first time ever, Stonemaier Games will be publishing a game designed by someone other than Jamey and Alan!
Ever since we opened our company to submissions from other designers, we've had one core philosophy: Because of the amount time, money, heart, and soul we put into our games, we'll only publish games from other designers if we love them as much as if we designed them ourselves.
The game is called Between Two Cities, designed by Ben Rosset and Matthew O'Malley. It is a partnership-driven, tile-drafting city-building game for 3-7 players that plays in about 20 minutes. The game also includes a 2-player variant, and Morten Monrad Pedersen is working on a solo "Automa" variant as well.
In Between Two Cities, you are a world-renowned city planner who has been asked to redesign two different cities. Projects of such significance require the expertise of more than one person, so for each assignment you are paired with a partner with whom to discuss and execute your grandiose plans. Each turn features a simultaneous discussion with your two partners to decide which of your tiles to place into the cities you're building with each of them and where in those cities to place the tiles. At the end of the game, there is only one winner, as each player compares the lowest scoring of their two cites.
We've had a blast playtesting and developing Between Two Cities, and we look forward to launching it on Kickstarter in 2015. I'll announce the project to all subscribers--it could be anytime between January and June, and the KS price will be around $30. In the meantime, if you're interested in the game, please become a fan on the BoardGameGeek page and/or subscribe to updates there. You can also sign up as a Stonemaier Ambassador if you'd like to be a playtester.
Book Title Survey
My Kickstarter book needs a title! I had a great discussion with my publisher, Berrett-Koehler, about the title last week, and they put together a nice little survey. The more feedback we have about the title, the better, so I'd love to hear what you think. The survey will close on Wednesday so we can analyze the data and choose the best title.
Schedule Update for All Games
Please note that the following are all estimates based on freight shipping, customs, and trucking going smoothly. If you would like to see unboxings of some advance copies, Tuscany is here and the Treasure Chest is here.
- Tuscany: December/January delivery for backers/pre-orders
- Treasure Chest: mid-December delivery for early-adopter backers; late December/early January delivery for other backers/pre-orders
- Other products: metal lira coins, wooden stars, & Viticulture 1.0 update pack to be delivered with their respective pledges and pre-orders
- Euphoria (2nd printing): December retail release in the US; Essen release in the EU (will include German, French, Czech, and English versions). Sign up for our European production partner's e-newsletter here.
- Viticulture (2nd edition): Delivered to all "early" backers and in stores. If you want to buy a copy, the best way to get it at this point is to request it from your local game store.
- Charity: Through our annual BGG charity auction and our recent money-match sponsorship of an Extra Life game day in St. Louis, we donated over $3,000 to some fantastic charities this month. Thanks to everyone who participated in these events and helped to spread the word about them.
- New Charity: As part of our participation in the annual Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction, we decided to donate $5 to that fund for every Treasure Chest pre-ordered through our website during the JVMF auction timeframe (Oct 21-Nov 14),
- YouTube: This month I started a new weekly YouTube series geared towards game designers in which I pull one game from my collection and talk about my favorite mechanism in that game. Here is the latest video (Ticket to Ride).
Top 3 Most-Read New Blog Entries for October:
If you'd like to receive our Kickstarter-related blog lessons in your inbox as they're published (3 per week), click here
and enter your e-mail address on the right sidebar where it says "Subscribe to Blog via Email."
What We've Been Playing:
Tuscany, Tzolk'in, Good Cop Bad Cop, Trains, Kemet, Splendor, Bohnanza, Avalon, Lewis & Clark, Kingdom Builder, Shadows Over Camelot
If you'd like to discuss the contents of this e-mail or if I need to add/change something without resending the newsletter to everyone (i.e., confusing phrasing or a broken link), please check out this page on our website
— Jamey Stegmaier
Game Design YouTube Channel