Vail Construction Activity
Leonard Sandoval, TOV Construction Area Coordinator
970-390-4677 or 970-479-2198; firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING EVENTS & NOTICES
June 29 Last Construction Update until Fall
June 30 Last Weekly Construction Update Meeting of Spring Construction Season
CONSTRUCTION SEASON WRAPPING UP
Contractors were allowed to work within the public right-of-way in Vail Village and Lionshead from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week until June 26. The fall construction schedule for these areas will run from September 8th to November 15, 2015.
LAST WEEKLY CONSTRUCTION UPDATE MEETING
The last weekly update meeting for the spring construction season takes place at 9 a.m. Tuesday, June 30 on the ground level of the Lionshead Welcome Center. The meetings have been facilitated by Leonard Sandoval, Town of Vail construction area coordinator, and are intended to open the lines of communication between various contractors, schedules and impacted properties. After Tuesday, the meetings will return on Sept. 1 for the fall construction season.
VAIL POLICE: BE BEAR AWARE
The Vail Police Department is reminding contractors to be mindful about bears and other wildlife. Construction sites are required to use bear-proof containers. Be sure to remove all food items from vehicles and keep them locked. Report all bear activity by calling the police department at 970-479-2201.
Here’s a recap of the various construction projects in and around Vail.
- Wall Street Building remodel, 225 Wall Street. Work includes adding 900 sq. ft. of commercial space and 330 sq. ft. of office space with a completion date of mid-August. Note: Wall Street restrooms are now open. Due to site complications, the construction fence will be pushed back to the property line on June 30, end of work day allowing full public access on Wall Street and Gore Creek Drive. Construction activity will occur during the summer months with deliveries of materials restricted to the morning hours only. Contractor is Rocky Mountain Construction Group, Mark Hallenbeck, 719-499-9248, or Mike Losey, 970-390-5943. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-390-4677.
- Gorsuch Building remodel, 263 Gore Creek Drive. Minor exterior work is scheduled to be completed by June 30. Interior work remains. Contractor is Aspen Constructors; contact is Wally Sheata, 970-331-9043.
- Sebastian Unit 507 reconstruction. Remodel consists of exterior work to the fifth floor and roof. Includes use of tower crane and staging within CDOT right-of-way. During construction, temporary, single lane and sidewalk closures on the South Frontage Road will be required to accommodate construction. Contractor is required to comply with the 2015 Vail Village/Lionshead Village Construction Hours Handout. Project completion date is April 2016. Construction activity within CDOT right-of-way will be completed by Nov. 15, 2015. Contractor is Haselden Construction. Contact is Brandon Hern, 303-482-7685.
- West Meadow Drive utility work. Comcast has discovered a utility line break which will require repair. The break is on West Meadow Drive at the Four Season Hotel heated sidewalk. Repair is scheduled for Monday, June 29 and will be completed by July 2. Traffic Control will be provided. Contractor is Sage Telecommunications. Contact is Tony Dreiling 303-918-9292.
- Gore Valley Trail improvements. Reconstruction of the Gore Valley Trail recreation path between Lionshead and West Meadow Drive is taking place. Paving has been completed.Work for this week will include installation of lighting, landscaping / irrigation and installation of site furnishings. At this time, it is anticipated that the trail will be open to the public beginning July 2. The trail may be closed intermittently after July 6, depending on the nature of the work. Traffic is being detoured onto East Lionshead Circle. Town of Vail contact is Gregg Barrie, 970-479-2337.
- The Lion Redevelopment (formerly Strata and Lionshead Inn and Lionshead Annex), 705 W. Lionshead Circle. Construction began last spring and is scheduled for a fall 2016 completion. Impacts include various periodic single lane closures along the South Frontage Road and West Lionshead Circle throughout the duration of the project. An additional 200 ton crane is now on site to assist with the concrete pours and all steel deliveries. Contractor is PCL Construction, Inc. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-479-2198.
- Lower Bench improvements. The work includes construction of a new restroom near the Ford Park playground, improvements to the playground, an extension of the water main and installation of concrete pavers on Betty Ford Way to the Manor Vail Covered Bridge. Pedestrian access to the lower bench is available via Manor Vail and Nature Center bridges, as well as East Betty Ford Way. Park visitors should remain aware that there is ongoing construction and landscaping and to exercise caution while in the area. The lower portions of West Betty Ford Way from the stream walk to the Manor Vail Bridge will remain closed until approximately June 30. The project is scheduled for completion in late June. The contractor is RA Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, 970-479-2161.
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens Education Center. Construction continues on this $3.5 million project which includes a 3,000 sq. ft. building and associated landscaping. The project is scheduled to be completed in late June. The contractor is RA Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, 970-479-2161.
- Lion’s Ridge Village Apartments construction (redevelopment of eastern half of Timber Ridge), 1265 N. Frontage Rd. W. The new driveway entrance, utility work and bike path improvements are underway; completion is scheduled for the week of June 29. During construction, please exercise caution on the bike path, as it will be narrowed and may have loose gravel until work is complete. This project involves the demolition of 102 two-bedroom units and the construction of 112 new one and two bedroom units. The first units will be available for occupancy in September and all units completed by the end of the year. Contractor is RA Nelson. Town of Vail contact is George Ruther, 970-479-2145.
- Marriott Residences (formerly Roost Lodge). Construction is currently on hold. Proposed construction start date is now scheduled for spring of 2016. The site will be cleaned, existing surface will be graded evenly and landscaped with a seed mix and the construction fence will be removed. Work is schedule to be completed by mid July 2015. Contractor is G.E. Johnson Construction Company. Contact is Andy Sandoval, 970-376-2523.
- I-70 Bridge improvements at Eagle-Vail. This Colorado Department of Transportation project began last August and consists of repairing and rehabilitating both the eastbound and westbound bridge structures located near mile marker 168.7, at the point where I-70 crosses over both the Eagle River and Highway 6. More specifically, work includes girder repair, bridge deck repair and repaving. Structures, Inc. of Englewood is the contractor for the $8.1 million project. It is scheduled for completion before July 2016. For additional information about this project, email I70EagleVail@gmail.com to be added to the electronic updates.
- Rockledge Road and mid-Forest Road water, sewer and drainage improvement. In a joint project with the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District, water, sewer and storm drain infrastructure is being upgraded on Rockledge Road and a portion of Forest Road. Active construction is on Forest Road, between Beaver Dam and Rockledge roads. Work is proceeding uphill to the intersection with Rockledge Road and then will continue the length of Rockledge Road. There will be occasional road closures at the west end of Beaver Dam Road and the west end of Forest Road, at the Rockledge Road intersection, over the course of the project. The project should finish in late November. If needed, work will resume after the 2015-16 ski season and be completed by July 2016. Eagle River Water and Sanitation District contact is John Cahill, 970-471-5357. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- In a joint project with the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District, water, sewer and storm drain infrastructure will be upgraded on Rockledge Road and a portion of Forest Road. Active construction is at the western end of the project area – on Forest Road, near the intersection with Beaver Dam Road. Work will proceed east (uphill) to the intersection with Rockledge Road and will continue the length of Rockledge Road. There will be occasional road closures at the west end of Beaver Dam Road and the west end of Forest Road, at the Rockledge Road intersection, over the course of the project. The project should finish in late November. If needed, work will resume after the 2015-16 ski season and be completed by July 2016. Eagle River Water and Sanitation District contact is John Cahill, 970-471-5357. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Bighorn Creek culvert replacement at Columbine Drive. The existing metal culvert containing Bighorn Creek under Columbine Drive is scheduled to be replaced with a concrete box culvert. Columbine Drive will be reduced to a single lane during construction. The Bighorn Creek Trailhead parking will be relocated to along the shoulder of Columbine Drive just south of I-70 to facilitate construction. The trail access will remain open to the public; however, parking will be prohibited at the trailhead. Icon, Inc. has been selected as the contractor. Construction is anticipated to begin mid-July with completion by end of October 2015. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Slurry seal project. The town will be performing slurry seals on roads during the month of September. Roads scheduled to be slurry sealed this year are all town roads north of I-70 from Arosa Drive to Red Sandstone Road. Slurry seal creates a new wearing surface and seals the asphalt to prevent the damaging effects of water intrusion into the pavement. Single-lane traffic will be maintained at all times; however, motorists should expect delays. Traffic will be allowed to return to the new surface after it dries, typically after two hours. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD
Do you know of others who would be interested in receiving construction updates from the Town of Vail? To sign up for the email updates, go to vailgov.com/town-services and click Vail Mail Newsletter under the Connect section.