October is Cyber Security Awareness Month
2018 marks the 15th consecutive, annual observation of October as Cyber Security Month, as sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security.
The goal of the campaign is to raise awareness about the importance of cyber security.
Did You Know:
Important Steps to Take:
- Last year, employee errors were at the heart of 17% of breaches (including: failing to shred confidential information, sending an email to the wrong person, or misconfiguring a web server).
- Ransomware, which initially appeared in 2013, is the top variety of malicious software prevalent today.
- Statistically, about 22% of people click on phishing emails sent to them. Unfortunately, those who opt to click on phishing emails are highly likely to continue doing so.
Source of Statistics - 2018 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR)
- Implement a Cyber Security Awareness Campaign within your organization.
- Back up your data and verify the completeness and accuracy of individual and company backups.
- Update your hardware and software with vendor-supplied updates on a timely basis.
(Information received from HBK CPAs and Consultants, PHIMA’s accounting firm.)