Dear Catholic School Families of the Archdiocese of Chicago,
Last month, Cardinal Cupich announced our intent to reopen Catholic schools for face-to-face classes this fall. Since this announcement, the Office of Catholic Schools has been working hard to develop our specific plan for school reopening. The planning process included consultation with several groups, including the Archdiocesan COVID-19 Task Force, a panel of medical experts, state and local officials, priests, principals and school parents.
We are releasing our reopening plan to schools this week. I invite you to view a Summary of the Reopening Plan along with a Parent FAQ. Each of these documents contains important information about how our schools will open and what instruction will look like when school begins.
Our plan is built upon the following principles:
- The safety and well-being of all our students and faculty is and will remain the first priority.
- Everything possible will be done to timely reopen our school buildings and provide a safe, faith-filled, high-quality education for our students.
- The current situation in Illinois remains fragile. While much has been achieved over the past several months, there remains the potential that the gains could be lost if we are not collectively prudent and cautious with how we proceed.
- The trust our school families place in us is sacred and as with all aspects of our ministry, our reopening efforts will move forward with complete transparency and clear, open lines of communication.
- We call all people within our communities to exercise faithful citizenship and ask that each family take personal responsibility for the common good as well as their own safety.
In the coming weeks, we will work closely with each school principal and their staff to ensure that proper steps are taken to safely reopen our schools. If you have specific questions about your school’s reopening process, I encourage you to contact your principal. However, please bear in mind that each school is still taking steps to prepare for the year. As such, not all questions will be answered until closer to the start of the new instructional year.
In addition, I know that some families may not wish to return to face-to-face instruction quite yet but wish to remain enrolled at their school. We are working with all schools to provide an ongoing, high-quality virtual option for families that are not ready to physically return. If you share this concern, I encourage you to contact your school’s principal.
Should you have questions for the archdiocese, you may reach us through ReopenSchools@archchicago.org.
I am incredibly grateful for your trust and support as we prepare for the upcoming school year. May God continue to bless our efforts on behalf of our precious Catholic schools!
Yours in Christ,
Jim Rigg, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Catholic Schools
Archdiocese of Chicago