May Day ~ May Day ~ We Have Lots of HEROES!
It is already approaching mid-May, and again time is slipping away faster than I can keep track!
I am still overwhelmed by the WVHIMA BeAHero Convention held April 19-21 at Oglebay. Heroes were recognized, honored, utilized, and inspired over the three days. If you followed us on Facebook, Linked In, YappApp, and more, you may have already seen the recap, however it bears repeating:
BeAHIMHero By the Numbers!
5K Success! We had 27 Hero participants! The Flash (Dale Kivi, FutureNet) made an appearance! We had so much fun running and walking the beautiful hills of Oglebay. Sarah Elkins and her son Tag were the official winners completing the 5K in the best times for both male and female. Melissa Kerr, Carol Talkington, Stephanie Ellis, Melissa Stump, Susan Arnold, Susan Lucci, Frank Lucci, and myself completed 5K distances as well. Others participated at their leisure! It was a great time by all the runners, walkers, crawlers, and volunteers at water stations and swag bag distributors.
12 HEROIC Vendors! We had wonderful support from our hero vendors this year! They demonstrated so many new products and services! They heroically saved the day by sponsoring so many events and services from speakers, scholarships, water stations, coffee stations, smore’s, drinks, and the Joseph Sisters Live Band entertainment at the vendor reception. WVHIMA cannot thank each of these wonderful vendors enough for their wonderful sponsorships and support!
19 Past Hero Presidents! WVHIMA honored 19 past presidents attending the luncheon on Thursday. It was truly an inspiring HERO moment as these amazing past presidents entered our luncheon hall with their inspiring presence. Many of us were able to reflect and thank them for their inspiration and leadership on a personal and professional level. Several came from as far as Florida and North Carolina to make the event! Truly inspiring moments! Thank you all for your service and heroism.
- 4 Academic Scholarships to FUTURE Heroes! WVHIMA presented four scholarships for academic achievement. These scholarships were presented honoring Zetra Kennedy, Betty Payne, Linda Culp, and Ebenetta Rhinehart. The work and accomplishments of these past heroes, have made it possible for future heroes to done their capes and fly high in their memory.
- 1 Distinguished Member – Congratulations to Debbie Parenti for her heroism and service to WVHIMA. She was so poised and gracious to receive this honor as 2017 Distinguished Member, just as we were honored to present it to her.
- An Amazing Hero Surprise – The convention team out did themselves. They planned so many great events, speakers, and meals, including one special surprise speaker at the vendor’s reception. A Super Caped Brett-man, my son who drove to Oglebay from Elkins to deliver a speech on his hero, his mom. His speech was very touching and struck many an emotional cord by everyone in the room.
- AMAZING AGENDA AND SPEAKERS! The Convention team provided an agenda with AHIMA caliber speakers! There were so many great speakers and topics on every facet of HIM! The agenda was amazing! From the kick-off keynote cartoonist drawing us as our hero alter egos, to AHIMA update, Information Governance, Life on a Ship, HIPAA Next Steps, Active Shooter Situations, and ICD-10 Next Horizons, Compliance, Networking and Learning! It was truly outstanding!
- A New Day Dawning! The 2017-2018 Installation of officers Candlelight ceremony was capped off by an inspiring “Get Connected” speech by incoming president Megan McDougal. She has some great initiatives and goals for WVHIMA beginning July 1! And I am very excited for her to get started!
I could go on and on about the convention and all the hard work that the WVHIMA Board of Directors has done this year. They have been truly inspiring! In fact, they stayed an additional two hours post-convention for a board meeting! Now that is HEROISM! They worked very hard on your behalf this year! And I am so proud and honored to have worked with them again! One final message for this month!
The CONVENTION TEAM were the HEROES this month! Please Join Me in unmasking this heroic team and Congratulate them on a successful Convention!
- Jennifer Royce
- Heather Rush
- Ashley Simmons
- Cheryl Munson
- Stacey Teets
Christine Metheny, RHIA, CHPS, CHTS-IM
WVHIMA President 2016-2017