Volunteer Opportunities: Q & A with the Education Committee Co-chairs
The 2019-20 Education Committee is co-chaired by Dilhari DeAlmeida and Angela Rose. Dilhari is a professor in the HIM program at the University of Pittsburgh and served on the committee for the first time in 2018-19. Angela is Vice President of Implementation Services at MRO and brings prior CSA and AHIMA experience to PHIMA from Florida.
In a sentence or two, describe the purpose of the committee?
What are some of the projects and/or deliverables?
- DRD:The purpose of the education committee is to provide the membership with opportunities for increasing their knowledge in different HIM topics through education.
- AR: We develop, plan and coordinate PHIMA’s educational offerings including, but not limited to, meetings and webinars, in strong collaboration with the Board, Executive Director, and Revenue Cycle and Coding Chair.
What is the time commitment?
- AR: Our key projects are developing agendas for the Fall Conference, Annual conference and webinars.
What is one word that describes the committee’s work?
Why do you volunteer for PHIMA?
- DRD:On average, we spend about an hour per week, however, keep in mind some weeks you may not have anything going on and some weeks (when it’s close to deadlines for planning the meetings), you may have three or more hours in a week.
- AR: The term is one year with an average of monthly meetings to plan the Fall Conference and Annual Meeting.Meeting frequency increases as event dates draw near. We also are required to attend Quarterly PHIMA Board meetings as well as assist with onsite execution at the in-person meetings.
- DRD:It provides me the opportunity to give back and help my local HIM professional association and share my ideas as well as learn from my fellow colleagues.
- AR:Because it is my way of paying it forward to all those who helped me achieve my career goals and dreams.I hope to be that and more to our current and future professionals.
SAVE THE DATE:Special Cyber Monday Webinar!There will be a special webinar released to PHIMA members that will focus on cyber security.Stay tuned for more information!