We're quickly approaching one of my favorite times of the year: back-to-school sales! Whether youâ€™re a student or not, head down the school supply aisle and get yourself some goodies. Hereâ€™s a little shopping list:
Iâ€™m back from vacation next week, so things will be back to normal again. (Although, I enjoyed the themed newsletters for a change!)
- Gay Talese writes using scissors and glue.
- Nabokov, Annie Dillard, Stephen Colbert, Rebecca Skloot, Phyllis Diller, Joan Rivers all use(d) index cards.
- Laurence Weschler plays with blocks.
- John Waters, Jerry Seinfeld, Oliver Sacks, and Lynda Barry write on legal pads.
- Twyla Tharp starts every new project with a banker's box.
- When you should type on a keyboard, and when you should write with a pencil. (I like Palamino Blackwings.)
- Keith Haring, Michael Bierut, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and Paul Thek all used plain ol' composition books.
- I swear by a good paper dictionary. (John McPhee says it's way better than a thesaurus and Nick Cave keeps a handwritten one.)
- It's now cool for adults to buy coloring books.
- Hallie Bateman has a whole newsletter dedicated to pens. (I like Papermate Flairs, Pilot G-2 Bolds, and Pentel Brush Pens.)